
So I guess it has been awhile. I kept meaning to post but it never happened. I got my bike last week. A friend told me about an old man who kept a garage near the Architecture building. He fixes and sells used bikes but his main passion is creating Pinocchios. The garage is full of them, small ones hanging from the rafters and larger ones in the back. heads and limbs float around the floor. I don't know what his real name is but he calls himself Geppetto. He talked to Jeremiah and I for a long time about his life, where he’s been, what he does. We also bought two small pinnochio keepsakes (“fratelli” says Gipetto –brothers—because they are similar). Jeremiah took me on a ride outside the walls abit to get acclimated. I screamed a little but didn’t fall or hit anyone. I think it was a success. I have since ridden to school all of once. But it went alright so more times are coming.
We went to Cinque Terre this weekend with the Richmond Girls and our International posse. We got in on Friday evening around 9:30 and had dinner in a touristy restaurant on the main drag. Cinque Terre is a set of 5 coast towns built into the cliffs along the western coast of the country. We stayed in a hostel/hotel/orphanage-looking apt. in the first town, RioMaggiore. From there we hiked to the last city, stopping in each along the way (to eat). It was raining slightly when we set off and turned into a downpour around the third city. We took refuge in a s
mall enoteca (wine bar) and had some white wine and snacks, listening to the big band italian jazz (which we eventually purchased). When the rain stopped we headed back out and decided to push ahead to the end. The weather cleared and it was gorgeous. it seemed as if there was no way to take a bad picture because everything was just so amazingly beautiful. the little cities look like colored dominos stacked into the mountains and the multicolored boats sit side by side in the tiny docks. At the last city we got gelato and wandered a bit before taking the train back to RioMaggiore.
On the Second day we headed to the last city of Monterossa. We took a ferry along the coast to survey where we hiked. and let's just say that i am very impressed with myself. it was far! the weather couldn't have been more perfect. We headed to the beach where some swam in the clearest water ever, and the rest of us rock
hounded in the surf. i was very excited with my finds. rock collection italy 2006. i don't think i will ever get less nerdy. when we got hot we headed up the restaurant overlooking the water to lunch before our long trainride home.
now it is thursday already.
no plans for the weekend yet but a bike ride to a friend's home in the country is in the works. pretty excited.
pps. an italian finally told me i spoke italian well! we had a nice long conversation in class about california. he may have simply been hitting on me but either way! at least someone took the time to listen to my babel! friends for life!
right. forgot. went to Verona yesterday for my Allistemento class. i would translate that if i knew an exact definition of Allistemento. I think it has to do with exhibit design/restoration. We took a tour of the CastelVecchio, a museum renovation inside a Medieval Castle. The project was designed by Carlo Scarpa. It was amazing. I managed to forget my camera. I am not amazing. i think we have to pick an area/space/room of the building and do a new allistemento for it. i'm not sure if we have a program. if we are supposed to get rid of what Scarpa did... or what. I walked through the building so slow I missed most of the final lecture from the Professor.
I got a ride back with two belgium boys and a french boy. they were very nice. the french boy spoke english but no italian. one belgium boy spoke a little english and a little italian (and french obvi) and the last spoke only french and italian. so... conversation was a little stilted but it was okay. we stopped at a gas station and i was really excited and ran around a little bit. it wasn't really all that different like i was hoping. but still! first euro gas station! their gas is soooo expensive.
i'm home. and tired. and still a little sick.
No comments:
Post a Comment